Resources for effective state advocacy from CA StateStrong
LEGISLATIVE PRIORITY BILLS 2019-20
Given our proximity to the Capitol, INDIVISIBLE Sacramento has a unique opportunity to support state legislation that holds the line against the Trump agenda.
Here are the top CA StateStrong and INDIVISIBLE Sacramento legislative priorities for 2019:
- AB 4 & SB 29 – Healthcare – Expands medicaid to undocumented immigrants of all ages
- AB 32 – Criminal justice reform – Prohibits California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation from entering into or renewing contracts with private, for-profit prisons beginning January 1, 2020
- AB 177 – Voting reform – Would create a statewide holiday for election day
- AB 363 – Voting reform – Requires voting centers in all counties to be open the Saturday, Sunday, & Monday before an election.
- AB 392 Support / SB 230 Oppose – Criminal justice reform – AB 392 is the bill we support which redefines the circumstances in which use of police use of deadly force would be considered justifiable to be in self-defense. SB 230 is the police counter bill which we oppose that requires agencies to make their use of force policy accessible to the public and sets use of force to be okay when officer “reasonably believes” there is threat
- AB 1276 – Climate and environment – Develop and implement the Green New Deal with the objective of reaching specified environmental outcomes within the target window of 10 years from the start of execution of the plan
- AB 1332 – Immigration – Sanctuary State Contracting and Investment Act – Prohibits localities from entering into new contracts or investing in with entities that work with ICE/CBP by sharing data or providing detention facilities
- ACA 6 & AB 646 – Voting reform – Restores voting rights to people on parole
- SB 47 & AB 1217 – Voting reform – Requires ballot initiative, referendum, or recall signature gatherers and issue ads to disclose top funders/endorsers.
- SB 200 & AB 134 – Climate and environment – Establishes policies to ensure that every Californian has the right to safe, clean, affordable, and accessible drinking water.
These bills are 2019 priority for INDIVISIBLE Sacramento only:
- SB 50 – Housing, environment – Overrides local restrictive zoning by legalizing housing developments near job centers and public transportation and sets minimum affordability standards for some of those units. It addresses issues related to housing and climate change.
- SB 458 – Pesticides – This bill would prohibit the use of a pesticide that contains the active ingredient chlorpyrifos, a known neurotoxin. The EPA was set to ban this pesticide in 2017, but the Trump EPA stalled the order.
- SB 27 – Tax Transparency – This bill would would require a candidate for President, in order to have the candidate’s name placed upon a primary election ballot, to file the candidate’s income tax returns for the 5 most recent taxable years with the Secretary of State. This bill passed last session but was vetoed.
COURAGE CAMPAIGN – Courage Scores grade California state legislators on their political courage (as evidenced by their votes on key bills in the previous session), revealing how well they stand up for their constituents over corporate lobbyists that exploit Californians, particularly the poor, disadvantaged, or communities of color.