Weekly Update: NOVEMBER 14, 2017
It’s almost time for our monthly meeting, and this meeting is a very special one. A member of Senator Kamala Harris’s district office team will be joining us as a special guest. We’re going to get started early – 5:30 p.m. this Wednesday at Sierra2 Center, Room 10. The address is 2791 24th Street, Sacramento.
Stop the Tax Scam
We’re certainly going to discuss the disastrous tax bills that Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan are trying to push through. Stopping the tax scam is priority number one for Indivisible right now, since this bill is nothing more than a disgusting heist of tax dollars by rich donors and mega-corporations. The House of Representatives will probably vote on Wednesday or Thursday, with a Senate version up for vote in the near future. Here’s what you can do this week:
- Call your representative Tuesday and tell them you’re opposed to the Trump Tax Scam. You can find their contact information here.
- Call your friends who live in other states and cities. If you have friends in Nevada, for example, ask them to call Senator Dean Heller. Arizonans should reach out to Jeff Flake and John McCain. If you have friends in Modesto, tell them to put some pressure on Representative Jeff Denham. Every lawmaker needs to know that they will lose reelection if they support this bill.
- Visit Indivisible’s Trump Tax Scam site and the Not One Penny Campaign to educate yourself on what is at stake.
- Visit this site created by Congressman Steny Hoyer to tell your personal story – why do you think this tax scam is a bad idea? You may be one of the millions of middle class Americans whose taxes will go up, or you may just be a concerned citizen who does not want to see the rich get richer while needed programs lose funding. Either way, you need to make your voice heard!
- And of course, stop by Sierra2 Center for our meeting on Wednesday so you can join us in telling Senator Harris’s staffer how hard we want her to fight this thing!
Congresswoman Matsui Press Conference
Representative Doris Matsui is fighting the Tax Scam, and Indivisible Sacramento showed up to support her in that fight last Friday at a press conference urging people to fight the bill. The leaders of Sacramento State and UC Davis spoke about how the Tax Scam would hurt higher education. Then many ordinary Sacramentans talked about how they would pay more when this bill eliminates deductions for middle class people, including the teacher supply deduction, the student loan interest deduction, and the state and local tax deduction.
Thank you to all who were able to show up, and remember to keep fighting!
After you call about the tax bill, make plans to reach out to some voters. Indivisible Sacramento is offering plenty of opportunities to help kick out Trump’s allies in Congress in 2018:
December 9th – Voter canvassing in Riverbank (about an hour south of Sacramento). The 10th Congressional District is a swing district, and an opportunity for a Democratic pickup. We’re talking to voters, registering new ones, and gathering information that will help the good guys win in 2018. RSVP and get details (including information on transportation and start times) at email@example.com.
December 10th – Join Cal Away Team in talking to voters who have skipped recent midterm elections. These are voters who are on our side – we just need to remind them to show up next year. Details at the link above.
Finally, even though it’s thousands of miles away, you can help sway the Alabama Senate special election, where Doug Jones is running a very competitive race. All you need to do is send a postcard! Check out the Postcards to Voters site, where you’ll receive instructions on how to get in touch with Alabamans.
It’s a busy week this week, so we hope you can help. Thank you for being a part of Indivisible Sacramento!