Weekly Update 3/5/18
The midterm elections are only 8 months away
, and it’s not an exaggeration to say that this may be the most important election of our lifetimes. If we want to save American democratic norms, we need to defeat Trump’s allies in Congress and in lower offices across the country. Given those stakes, it is not too early to get involved and start giving everything we can.
California Away Team is one way you can help. They are knocking on doors to make sure voters will turn out in November. All they do is knock on the doors of registered Democrats who have skipped recent elections and ask them to fill out postcards to remind themselves to vote in November. It’s the easiest canvassing you’ll ever do: no arguing with hostile voters!
Cal Away Team has volunteer opportunities in two districts near us. You can help out in District 7 (Elk Grove ad Fair Oaks) where we’re trying to save a Democratic seat. Or if you prefer, sign up in District 4 (Roseville and El Dorado Hills), where we are pulling out all the stops to unseat Trump ally Tom McClintock. Our friends in the Roseville and Auburn Indivisible chapters are begging for help in District 4, so let’s not let them down!
Indivisible Sacramento T-shirts are on sale for a limited time only! The prices are incredibly reasonable, so check them out at the Custom Ink website. All orders will be collected by March 31st, and we will deliver them to you at the next Indivisible Sacramento meeting after the order is produced. Can’t make it to the meeting? Don’t worry – we can work out a special arrangement if needed.
Indivisible Sacramento does not make any money off these shirts, but it’s a great chance to show off our beautiful logo and let people know who we are!
Phone Calls to Legislators
As usual, there is a lot going on, and we need to make sure our legislators know how we feel about the issues:
- Tell our Senators that we DO NOT want them to roll back the financial regulations President Obama signed into law after the last Wall Street collapse. The Senate is planning a vote soon, and many Democrats are planning to cave, so we need to reach them immediately.
- When Donald Trump destroyed DACA, he set today as the arbitrary deadline to start deporting millions of Dreamers. Right now, only a court challenge is stopping his cruel and unnecessary roundups. We must not let this issue fade away, so keep up the phone calls and demand action on the Dream Act.
- Finally, tell our Senators that we need to stop the unauthorized war in Yemen. Senator Sanders has introduced Senate Joint Resolution 54, which would remove all forces from that country and stop the U.S from creeping into another long war in the Middle East.
Local MOC phone numbers
Rep. Doris Matsui: (916) 698-5600
Rep. Ami Bera: (916) 635-0505
Sen. Kamala Harris: (916) 448-2787
Sen. Dianne Feinstein: (415) 393-0707
Once you’ve made your calls, make sure you have these dates on your calendar:
- March 24th – March for Our Lives rally to end gun violence. Want to volunteer? Go to their Facebook page and click the link for the volunteer form. It’s under the “Details” section.
- Our next meeting is March 21st at 7:00 p.m. We meet the third Wednesday of every month at Sierra2 Center (2791 24th Street).
- Our Interfaith Forum will be Sunday, April 22nd at 3:00 p.m. Leaders of multiple religious denominations will be talking with representatives of progressive groups about how we can work together to bring about positive change. This amazing event will take place at First United Methodist Church on J Street.
That’s all for this week. Remember to check out our Website, and we’ll see you on the campaign trail!